Why SMS is In
People are on the go all of the time and are relying on their mobile devices, and I had written about that in my previous blog post about mobile websites and marketing. You are now aware of how crucial it is to have a mobile website, but what about mobile marketing or SMS text marketing?
Will SMS Marketing Take the Place of Traditional Email Marketing?
That is difficult to say. But my hunch is telling me one day it may. We are not to that point yet. However, SMS marketing does have plenty of advantages over email marketing. It actually has many pros and let’s see what they are:
- Results are instantaneous- People on the go carry their mobile devices with them at all times (even if they are say in a movie theater they will just put the phone on vibrate). If they hear or “feel” a text, they will very likely open it. Compare this to emails that are conveniently ignored or just simply fall into the spam pile and are never seen at all.
- Inexpensiveand easy- SMS Marketing packages are much cheaper than email marketing because it is so easy to use. Messages are delivered easily and it can be kept simple and basic.
- Marketing is direct- as soon as a message is delivered, the recipient receives it as it was covered in #1. However, the recipient has a higher chance of connecting with the marketer and therefore, the odds of a sale being made is higher.
- Messages can easily go viral- the trick is to send out good and useful information that many people can use and before you know it, mobile users will forward messages to their friends and so on. If a pizzeria hires a marketer to do an SMS campaign, and the message is something like “Buy one medium size pizza, and get another free at “Joke-a-lot Pizzeria” (unsure if that is a real name, I did a search for it and did not see it and if by some chance this name has been used please let me know and I will remove it)- a mobile user receives this SMS text, and will start forwarding the text to his or her friends, and then they will send the text over as well, and so on.
- Benefits when it comes to microblogging- You can also Tweet the message out easily, as more and more mobile users are doing this.
These are just a few advantages of SMS marketing. Now you still have kinks with this form of marketing that need to be worked out such as privacy issues as well as some messages not appearing legible on some platforms. Especially since there are plenty of types of mobile devices. SMS marketing is still in its infancy and will only get better in time, and these issues will not be issues at that point.